Normally, when I cook butternut squash, I cut it in half, scrape out the seeds and strings, turn the halves upside down on a baking sheet and cook it in the oven. When it’s done, the insides are soft like mashed potatoes. I mix in some butter and serve. Easy and delicious. I love how sweet this squash is. It’s more like a dessert than a veggie.
I decided to try butternut squash a different way. I am glad I did!
This recipe is from Yummy Healthy Easy and, even though it says caramelized, the butternut squash is actually quite savory.
- 2 medium butternut squash (about 4-5 pounds total)
- ¼ cup Truvia Brown Sugar Blend
- 5 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- 1½ tsp. salt
- fresh cracked black pepper
- cayenne pepper, to taste (omit if preferred)
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Get out a large baking sheet and set aside.
- Peel the squash and cut off the ends. Slice lengthwise and remove the seeds inside. Cut the squash into about 1½ inches cubes and set on baking sheet.
- Pour the melted butter, Truvia Brown Sugar Blend, salt, pepper and cayenne. Using your hands, toss to coat the squash evenly.
- Spread in a single layer on the baking sheet and roast for about 45 mins, or until the squash is tender and caramelized, stirring a few times while cooking.
- Taste and season as necessary. Serve immediately. Enjoy!